A couple of years ago, I headed up a scavenger hunt for our local homeschool co-op. I had more fun then the kids did!! I found the hunt online at the “Christian Crafters.”
This activity is awesome for birthday parties, AWANA’s, Sunday School outings, etc.
The hunt was in the wooded area of our park. Each child got a printable version of the "Scavenger Hunt" (see below). I had 15 kids therefore I had 15 of each of the items needed to fill-in the blanks of the Scavenger Hunt. These objects were hidden within 5 feet off the path. I placed the items in order according to the Scripture so the child knew what they were looking for.
Items needed for the hunt are:
Branches [painted orange to find easier], leaf [dried and then painted pink], fish [I used the fish from fishing game], frogs [Oriental Trading], locusts [plastic], bracelets [the kids made a friendship bracelet in art that day that we used], rainbow [refrigerator magnets], sun [yellow circles cut from construction paper], horn or trumpet [birthday blowers], animals [small plastic items], star, serpent or snake [plastic], coins [I made coins from clay that I baked in the oven], ring [I used the plastic tab left behind on bottle when you take the lid off of a 2 liter bottle] and sandals[moms brought one sandal for each child to find].
Printable Scavenger Hunt
Hidden throughout the park are the items talked about in these Bible verses and stories. Fill in the blank to figure out what you are looking for and then search the designated area in the park to find the object. Collect each object in your bag.
1) John 15:5 – Jesus said, “I am the vine and you are the ________.
2) Genesis 8:11 – Noah sent a dove out from the ark and it returned with an olive ____ in her mouth and Noah knew the waters of the flood were going down.
3) Matthew 14:15 – The boy shared the meal he had packed. Jesus used the five loaves and two ____ to feed the 5,000 people.
4) Exodus 8:2-3 – The second plague visited upon pharaoh and the Egyptians was _____. “So the river shall bring forth ____ abundantly.”
5) Exodus 10:4-5 – The eighth plague visited on pharaoh and his people was _______. “They shall cover the face of the earth and they shall eat every tree which grows out of the field.”
6) Genesis 24:22 – Abraham sent his servant to find a wife for his son Isaac. “So it was when the camels had finished drinking that the man took a golden nose ring and two _________ for her wrists and said, ‘Whose daughter are you?’”
7) Genesis 9:13 – God made a covenant with Noah never again to destroy the earth with a flood. God said, “I set my _______ in the cloud and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth.”
8) Luke 23:44-45 – On the day that Jesus died, there was darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour; the ___ was darkened.
9) Joshua 6 – God commanded Joshua and his army to march around the city of Jericho seven times on the seventh day and the priests shall blow the _______. And the people shall shout and the city wall will fall down.
10) Genesis 6 – God told Noah to bring onto the ark two of every living thing, of the birds after their kind, of _______ after their kind, and of every creeping thing.
11) Matthew 2:2 – Now after Jesus was born n Bethlehem, wise men from the east came to Jerusalem saying, “Where is He who has been born King of the Jews, for we have seen his ____ in the East.
12) Genesis 3 – And the ______ said to Eve, ‘Did God really say you shouldn’t eat of every tree of the Garden?’
13) Mark 12:42 – One poor widow came and threw two ______ into the treasury. Jesus said to his disciples, “This poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury.”
14) Luke 15:22 – In the parable of the lost son, when the son returns home the father says to his servants, “Bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ____ on his hand and sandals on his feet.”
15) Exodus 3:5 – Moses saw a burning bush in the desert, but it was not consumed by the flames. God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, “Moses, Moses!” And Moses said, “Here I am.” Then God said, “Do not draw near to this place. Take your _______ off your feet for the place where you stand is holy ground.”
1. branches 2. leaf 3. fish 4. frogs
5. locusts 6. bracelets 7. rainbow 8. sun
9. horn or trumpet 10. animals 11. star 12. serpent or snake
13. coins 14. ring 15. sandals